What is it and how to perform a detailed engineering (Part 1)
The concept of engineering It is synonymous with inventionIt is an activity that transforms knowledge into something practical.
In our unconscious when we refer to the figure of an engineer as quickly as associate constructions bridges O Industrial plants. In IDI We think often engineering no special attention to professional justifying or even decides that he must build a kind of bridge or concrete floor is provided. And it is just this function, which is more related to the definition of detailed engineering, and we are preparing to expand our expertise in this entry.
What will you find in this post?
- The definition of conceptual engineering and basic engineering
- What is the detailed engineering?
- What are the stages of detailed engineering?
1. The definition of conceptual engineering and basic engineering
During a project we can discriminate three engineering phases; the first two more creative (the problem is analyzed and the most appropriate solutions are defined) and the third phase in which these solutions must be realized in only answers have to fully describe and detail necessary for further processing in a reality.
Here we describe what the conceptual engineering and the basic engineering before focusing all our attention on the concept of detail engineering.
Conceptual engineering is initially applied to identify both technical and economic feasibility of the project and that set the tone for the development of basic engineering and detail engineering.
It is based on a previous study (or feasibility study) and in determining project requirements. Then we collect the main points to analyze and study in this engineering phase:
- Products and production capacity.
- Legislation and regulation required.
- The description of the manufacturing process and user requirements.
- The general description of the installation.
- The plan, block diagrams, distribution of rooms, the planes of material flows and people, plans and diagrams classified areas of basic processes.
- The estimated requirements of ancillary services.
- The preliminary list of equipment.
- Economic valuation of investment ± 30%.
In the second phase corresponding to the basic engineering all user requirements, basic specifications, the timetable for implementation and economic valuation is definitely reflected.
More specifically, during this phase the following tasks are defined:
- The detailed review of the conceptual engineering and user requirements.
- Data sheets of all rooms (critical and noncritical), equipment and facilities.
- Calculating thermal loads and air flow in each of the wards, etc,
- Diagrams Piping and Instrumentation (P & ID) basic water, HVAC systems and pipe routing.
- The point distribution service use.
- The revision of the layout of rooms, equipment deployments, including service areas
- Lists consumption and equipment.
The basic engineering developed in two stages: the first involves data collection and preparation of user requirements and in the second the rest of works collected in the above list is developed.
When the basic engineering is validated, then, it is the point where we are ready to have a solid basis for the next and most important step: detailed engineering.
2. What is the detailed engineering?
The detail engineering is the most important development of ideas that at the beginning of the project were conceived as a possibility at this stage and become something more real.
In this phase they are defined each and every one of the subsystems, components or parts that make up the project, developed in a series of documents that should be sufficient to bring the project into practice.
As mentioned, in the development of basic engineering are considered all aspects that set the course of the execution taking into account the project viability. However, details of these are what determine the functionality and end-user satisfaction.
"Detailed engineering is always present in a project"
Even in the case of a clearly defined from the start or a low-complexity project, as it could be a warehouse, objectives can obviate the previous phases but never detailed engineering.
When we started the development of the detail engineering and have previous data that help define the final aspects of the project. Once analyzed, IDI project goes through a technical review whose intention is to polish the details that can be considered a weak point in the execution.
As we have progressed in the first half, detailed engineering concrete the chosen solutions and develops the detail needed to carry them out.
At this stage you can not have significant errors or estimated values although it is not possible to have all the necessary information. The accuracy must be high.
As a general rule a project is correctly calculated when the deviation between the estimated budget and the actual investment does not exceed 5%.
The detailed engineering phase of the project consists of the following tasks:
- Verify, confirm and if necessary modify the assumptions and design solutions.
- Provide all the technical, economic and legal information to the project sponsor.
- Prepare technical data, construction details and conditions to be manufactured or constructed the project detail.
In the following section we break the stage of detailed engineering of the project in its different stages of implementation.
3. What are the stages of detailed engineering?
Step 1: Check the specifications
At this stage we review previous studies and the preceding basic engineering to fit the time and circumstances in which the project is responsible.
This is needed for the following major reasons:
- It is possible that elapsed since the completion of the basic design time has changed the conditions of the environment and therefore the basis set out in the draft may not correspond to the new circumstances.
- When previous studies and basic engineering have been made by different technicians, it becomes necessary to make a synthesis of assumptions and valid before starting detailed design data.
- For reasons of technical, economic and legal nature that would justify modifying the basic engineering.
In this first stage of the detail engineering They will be held the following:
- The definition of subsystems (shape, materials and key features).
- Fixing the calculation assumptions to consider.
- The division of subsystems into components, their modeling and calculation and verification of each.
Sometimes you can not make calculations undefined components that all stages are subdivided. Experience has shown that this becomes necessary first step and the following simultaneously in these cases.
This phase of the project is a key phase technical and design calculations. It is in the study of components and parts, where our professionals are able to appreciate the quality of the draft and the great importance in the final result.
2nd stage: Define and calculate parts
In this second phase the parts in which each component is divided must be such that in the manufacturing phase leaving no constructive aspect undefined. Unresolved detail in the design phase can result in a serious problem later.
The designer used to rely on the expertise of suppliers and manufacturers and leaves in their hands fixing many details. This attitude can be dangerous, even dare to say foolhardy, since neither manufacturers nor suppliers are in possession of all the key problem and also tend to solve them for your benefit is maximum and not necessarily for the is the most optimal result.
In this second stage of the detail engineering the following tasks are performed:
- The definition of the parts of each component and assumptions specific calculation.
- Modeling, calculation and dimensioning of each element.
- The consideration that the elements are part of a set and it must be optimal.
- The study and calculation of the connection elements and auxiliary parts and control assembly.
- Schemes, drawings and construction details of each of the parts.
Step 3: Assembling and check parts
This step leads to a first solution of complete design and comprises the following processes:
- Components and assemble these parts into subsystems.
- Drawing assembly and details of assembly.
- Calculate the elements that were not defined.
Stage 4: Check results dimensions and standards
Once the project calculated and defined the dimensions of the assembly and its components, it is necessary to contrast and verify these results, so that they meet the standards, laws and regulations required.
This is absolutely necessary because, although during the design takes into account the resolution of the calculations and drawings can modify some of the initial considerations and also because of the regulation does not directly affect the calculations. In any case, the rules should be consulted in order to include drawings and other documents all the conditions mentioned is mandatory.
Stage 5: Preparation, review and preparation of documents
Since the project phase is the final phase of preparation before giving effect to a particular work or product, the documents must be complete and sufficient in themselves.
So far we have seen the main stages of the detail engineeringBut to know exactly how it is done on a specific project, we must define the methodologies used in projects Industrial plants to be discussed in depth in the next entry
contact with us so we can advise you personally on the development of the engineering detail appropriate to the specific needs of a industrial plant.
If you've gotten this far, you may be interested you can read our previous post about the importance of manage adequate technical stop in industrial plants.